Monday, December 24, 2018

The 10 Most Overrated Hot Wheels Castings of All Time

*Pictures belong to their respective owners.


Consider this my gift of the year. This will never be definitive, because everyone has a different opinion about what castings are the most overrated, but the ones I thought were made it to my list. I didn't want to do a yearly list, because I would just have the same castings that I don't like on every list. So I basically gave you my all-time choices. So without further ado, let's get to it:



#10. '63 Corvette Split Window

Image result for hot wheels 63 corvette

To be honest, I have never seen the appeal of this one from a pure aesthetic standpoint. I always thought the fender gaps were way too large, looked too bloated in the back, and the rear split window did not age too gracefully. Granted, it was designed in a much different era where details didn't matter as much, but this is a casting that has far outlived its usefulness, and looks very much like the decrepit fossil it does today. Regardless, it is still a fan favorite, much to my chagrin.



#9. Combat Medic


Image result for hot wheels combat medic
To Mattel's credit, they have found many uses for this beast, transitioning it from a military ambulance to one for civilian use. Then it turned it into a SWAT truck/mail truck/delivery truck/food truck- you name it, and even had the Little Debbie treatment bestowed upon it. But really, why so much fanfare over a basic ass utility van? I get it, big casting, opening rear doors, blank canvas for customization. But at the same time, I still don't get it.


#8. Bone Shaker


Related image

Don't get me wrong, it was a very ingenious design by the great Larry Wood, but when it first came out, I had actually bought one just to see what the fuss was about. But I ended up not feeling it that much, and gave it to my nephews. Turns out, I'm just not a rat rod guy. That's not the reason it's overrated, but everybody else just goes apeshit every time another one comes out. A little overtly so, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.


#7. Datsun 510 Wagon


Image result for hot wheels datsun 510 wagon



Just when I thought the 510 Coupe was overrated. When the 510 Wagon made its debut in the Boulevard series over five years ago, it making a splash was an understatement. Most people went certifiably nuts, yet I was the one of the few who were questioning all this pandemonium over a station wagon. In all fairness, it was because of two factors: Jun Imai designed it after his own personal car, and this casting is one of the pioneers that kickstarted the Japanese/JDM renaissance that Hot Wheels is now experiencing to this very day. But even though I think it was executed very well, the fact that most collectors choose a bare-bones Japanese station wagon over sportier, more stylish cars is still lost on me. I don't give a damn if it is Jun Imai's car.


#6. '55 Chevy Bel Air Gasser


Related image
Just to get some personal bias out of the way, I'm not a gasser guy either. That being said, I do understand that a lot of people are, and that's cool. But you won't see me with this car in my collection though. At least not willingly. It's just that for me, gassers in general come off as way too redneckish. But I'm from down south, so everybody here snatches them up. Quick story though; when I went to my local Walmart, I found a shit ton of the debut grey '55 Gassers on the pegs, but when I came back about two or three days later, they were all gone. Cleaned out. Yeah, the '55 Gasser hype is real.



#5. Dairy Delivery


Image result for hot wheels dairy delivery


This one is popular with customizers. But I just couldn't get into it. Yes, delivery vans make for a blank canvas because the sides allow for a lot of graphics to be laid on it, but to me delivery vans are starting to get played out. Yes I know it's based on a classic van but even this one doesn't look that good. But alas, the Dairy Delivery is still one of Mattel's cash cows.



#4 Bugatti Veyron



Image result for hot wheels bugatti veyron

I must admit: I have not one, but two. That's only because I collect supercars, but that doesn't mean that it walks away from this list scot free. When the Bugatti license agreement expired, and Mattel chose to not renew it, a lot of collectors that had the Veyron casting threw them on Ebay for huge money grabs, transforming these little cars into near-overnight gravy trains. The values just went bonkers, man, and depending on the version and condition, you don't see one for any less than $15-$20, even for a shitty one. Minty carded though, forget about it. At least around $80-$100, tops.

But the thing is, the casting itself is not all that great anyway. It's totally out of proportion, and the grille is rough around the edges. And to be honest, I'm not even a huge fan of the real car, let alone the toy car. But just because it's a Bugatti Veyron, you just gotta have it. And if you have to ask how much it costs, you probably can't afford it.



#3. Volkswagen Drag Bus/Kool Kombi


Related image


Image result for hot wheels vw kombi


I'm going to trigger a lot of V-Dub fans here. I'm not one, but I'm not going to lie, I though the Drag bus was kinda cool because you can open it like a funny car, and had this huge engine inside. But I'm also not gonna lie, I still think that bus is ugly as fuck. That goes for the Kool Kombi too, which is a smaller, cuter, more beach bum-based van. And yes, I think that one is even worse looking. But you can't convince VW fanboys otherwise.



#2. '67 Camaro



Image result for hot wheels 67 camaro



As far as overrated castings go, this is the grandaddy of them all. Hey, I like Camaros too, but since this one came out in 1968, I think there are still better versions of the first-generation Camaros to be had. Don't get it twisted, I do understand how much it means to collectors that were old enough to have had this casting when they were kids. I definitely don't wish to disrespect that sentiment.

However, I do think it is severely overrated and vastly outdated. How Mattel was able to crank these out damn near every year for 50 years straight is beyond me. Yes, it's got the opening hood, but it doesn't even have any door lines! Come on, man! Truth be told, I would've had this car at #1, but there was one car I thought deserved those honors...



#1. Deora



Related image



Some folks are gonna hate me for this, but this is my list, dammit. Look, I understand, it was based off of the real-life concept car, but even back in the day, this goes down as one of the flat-out ugliest 1/64 scale diecast cars of all time. What in the world is remotely attractive about this car? Sentimental value, perhaps, but damn sure not aesthetically. This casting was handcrafted for tasteless youth, and to think it still has its fans after all these years. And because it was one of the original Redline models, they still hold their value quite handsomely. At least that's the most beautiful part. But as they say, even money can't buy good taste.




No comments:

Post a Comment